Of Arab origin, Benifallet refers to a patronymic that identifies a clan settlement.

To talk about Benifallet, we must first consider the cave paintings of the Neolithic period that were found in the cave of Culla, located in the part of Costumà, ancient barony dating from twelfth century, and also the Cave of Dos and the Cova de l'Aumidiella (two of the cavities in the set of Caves located below the Serra de Cardó), where three Upper Neolithic burials, an amphora and a bell-shaped vessel were found.

We also find in the municipality the archaeological sites of Aldovesta, the Castellot de la Roca or the Roman village of Mas de Cachorro, which mark the location of very ancient settlements: Phoenician, Iberian and Roman, respectively.

The PROTOHISTORIC SITE of Aldovesta was discovered in 1986. It is a small indigenous establishment that is of great interest because it is the highest set of western Phoenician pottery recovered in our region. Its chronology goes back to the seventh century to the sixth century BC.

The CASTELLOT DE LA ROCA ROJA is located at the southern end of the Serra de Cardó, on the left bank of the river at an altitude of about 50-60 meters above sea level, dominating the last section of the Benifallet gorge. The Castellot is one of the most well preserved sites in this area. Among the structures we can see, the wide barrier wall that delimits the town on the east side particularly stands out. It dates back to between the 7th century and the 2nd century BC. 

As for the town of Benifallet, of Arab origin, it already appears mentioned in the first documents after the Christian conquest of the mid-twelfth century. Located in the northern part of the Baix Ebre region, it is surrounded by unique mountains and caressed by the river Ebro, which runs along the same side of the village. Benifallet played an important defensive role in the conflict of the civil war of the 15th century.

The name of Benifallet was first mentioned in 1153. The place therefore existed before the conquest of Tortosa by Ramon Berenger IV. It belonged to the term of the aforementioned city. The Pinyol and Sentmenat families had property there.

Linked to the sovereign King Pere el Catòlic in 1208, he then granted Benifallet to Guillem de Cervera, for as long as he may live, in addition to the castle of Tortosa. In 1215 he returned its ownership to the order of the Temple. Later, Benifallet would be returned to the royal jurisdiction by means of its entailment with the city of Tortosa. Benifallet belonged for a time to the Templars, while Cardó and Sallent belonged to the Montcada family within the general term of Tortosa.

In 1207 Ramon de Montcada gave these places to Bernat Oliver Fuster with his territories and belongings, so that he could own them, exploit them and establish cultivators there. Bernat Oliver, in 1212, established the residence of a group of settlers and his widow, in 1228, sold them to Bernat Pinyol, who was lord of Costumà.

In 1417, the lordship of Cardó, Sallent and Costumà passed to the monastery of Benifassà. A few years later, in 1459 the bakery, the noria, the castle of Benifallet and its censuses were passed on to the Cistercian monastery of Benifassà.

Also noteworthy are the royal trips that led to Benifallet. Coming from Valencia and accompanied by the famous writer Bernat Metge, on November 26 1407, King Martí l'Humà arrived in Tortosa, so tired of riding a horse that he asked to be sent a ship from Barcelona to continue the journey on board. Then, he set out to leave Tortosa in the early days of 1408 and on the 3rd of January, as written: "in the morning, he was picked up by boats, and he went up the river and stopped to have lunch in Aldover, then had dinner and slept in the boat while stopped in Benifallet".

From there he set off again on Thursday 5 January and "by the river above he went to have lunch in the boat on the way to Miravet and from there continued along to Genestar, then had dinner and slept in Tivissa". (Girona and Llagostera, D. "Itinerary of King Martí (1396-1402)". Yearbook of the Institut d'Estudis Catalans. 1911-1912).

Philip I of Aragon and II of Castile made a trip to Catalonia in 1585, referred by his travel chronicler Enric Cock: "He took to the boats all the baggage he could, and everything was ready for the journey, after eating the king ordered him to sail to finish the four leagues he had to walk as fast as he could... The next day, on Tuesday at seventeen, leaving Ginestar, he entered Benifallet, where he was staying with his family, and he stayed there tonight. Wednesday, the eighth of December, the day of Out Lady of the O, so that he might be received sooner than that of Tortosa, who wished him, he came to eat with Xierta...".

A chapter in the history of the municipality places us in the expulsion of the Moors. We must remember that this road axis of the Ebro was the natural exit of Aragon to the sea and was where the Catalan and Aragonese Moors, between June 15 and September 16, 1610, were sent to the Port of Alfacs for their expulsion, according to the decree signed by Philip III on April 17 in Valladolid. The Aragonese Moors embarked in the Alfacs were 38,286 and the Catalan Moors were 3,666. Nevertheless, Don Pedro de Manrique, bishop of Tortosa, commanded that numerous of his diocesan moriscos remained.

On July 26 he published the "Information of the notorious Christianity of the new Christians of the villages and places of Tivenys and its term, García, Mora, Ribarroja, Vinebre, Teviça, Benifallet and Flix of the bishopric of Tortosa in Catalonia" by which they were exempt from expulsion.

Benifallet also noted the proximity of the front during the Battle of the Ebro in the Spanish Civil War (1938): "in the southern sector, a brigade will cross the river through Benifallet and quickly occupy the heights that dominate the left bank of the river Canaletes and the Serra de Vallplana...", includes the "General Order of Operations of the Ebro Army" dated July 22, 1938 and signed by Colonel Modesto, Chief of the Army of the Ebro. The civilian population took refuge in the spa of Cardó and in the Cova del Dos.